Tuesday, January 19, 2010

239. Brazil

Brazil (1985)

Director: Terry Gilliam

Starring: Jonathan Pryce
Kim Greist
Michael Palin

IMDb Rating: 7.9
My Rating: 7

"Mistakes? We don't make mistakes."






I can honestly say that I am one who can appreciate a film, even if I do not like it. Tonight's journey into film, is one of those instances. Imaginative director Terry Gilliam's 1985 cult classic Brazil is indeed a vision, the likes you have never seen. The film takes place in a futuristic society similar to that of George Orwell's novel 1984. Although, this world is much more unorganized and inefficient. Do to a "bug" in the system, Harry Buttle has been captured and deemed a terrorist. Sam Lowry (Jonathan Pryce) is assigned to investigate the error and fix the situation. While interviewing Buttle's wife, he encounters Jill Layton (Kim Greist), the woman who has been inhabiting his dreams. Jill has also been trying to inform the authorities of their mistake with Buttle. During his investigation, Sam is blamed with a series of bombings, which endanger the lives of both himself and Jill.

Terry Gilliam has crafted quite a visually stunning film. Every set and room is extremely original. Whether the scene is set in a busy office or up in the air, it really is a beautiful looking film. The special effects are excellent as well. The face lift scene with Sam's mother is iconic and holds up well after twenty-five years. Visually, there is much to love in this incredible vision of a future society.

My biggest complaint with this film has to do with the script. I just could not follow it. I've tried a couple times in the past to get into this film, and like tonight, I just came up short. I do get the overall plot and what Gilliam is trying to say. I just feel like there are better ways he could convey his message. I feel that in every film Gilliam directs, he tends to go off to places and situations, that just distract from the overall story. I applaud him in not conforming to what people might want, and only bringing his vision forward. His style, for the most part, is just lost on me.

After I complete the 250, I plan on going back and making another attempt at watching Brazil. I am not going to say that this film is bad. It was just not for me. I will say that it is extremely original, which you cannot say of many films of today at all. If you enjoyed the mind-trip of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or the futuristic world of Blade Runner, this film might just be for you.

1 comment:

  1. This is a brilliant film. What's not to get though? Terry Gilliam is bringing Monty Python satirism to the big screen here, and has put Bureaucracy, and in particular British Bureaucracy, squarely in the cross-hairs.

    ReplyDelete