Saturday, September 11, 2010

177. Kind Hearts and Coronets

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
Director : Robert Hamer
Starring : Dennis Price
Alec Guiness

IMDb Rating : 8
My Rating : 8.5

"I made an oath that I would revenge the wrongs her family had done her. It was no more than a piece of youthful bravado, but was one of those acorns from which great oaks are destined to grow. Even then I went so far as to examine the family tree and prune it to just the living members. But what could I do to hurt them? What could I take from them, except, perhaps, their lives."



Synopsis

Louis Mazzini (Dennis Price) is the son of woman disowned by her family for marrying outside of their approved status. When her dying wish to be buried in the family tomb is not granted, Louis seeks out revenge on the eight living members of the D'Ascoyne family (each played by Alec Guinness). He plans to murder them all, and assume the title of D'Ascoyne Dukedom of Chalfont.

What's so great about Kind Hearts and Coronets?

In the grand tradition of dark comedies, Kind Hearts is one of the finest I have seen. Each of murders proves to be unique, with great twists and turns coming through out the film. It would be a shame not to mention Alec Guiness' excellent series of performances, as he is really where this film shines. He plays every character whether it be man, woman, young, or old absolutely perfectly.
Anything not so great?

It's not an absolutely perfect film by any means, but I can't pick out a thing wrong with this film. Although, Alec Guiness playing multiple roles could have influenced a few Eddie Murphy movies.

Best Scene

An exploding shed over tea and biscuits had me roaring with laughter.

Does Kind Hearts and Coronets belong in the 250?

Without a doubt. There are not many comedies finer than this film.

Final Words

I am a fan of British humor, so this film really appealed to me. It's subtle, but often quite hilarious. I am also a great fan of vengeance films, and while calling this film a "vengeance film" might be a stretch. It's is obvious that theme is present. Overall, Kind Hearts and Coronets is a really fun time that definitely should not be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment